Doctor Science Knows

Friday, May 02, 2008

Sadness and Badness

Epidemic of rape in the Congo.

Telling an awful story to the world

Musing on the global culture of rape.

Corporations that stand to profit, and US contact numbers.

I'll edit in the morning, when I can bear to actually read some of the stuff I'm linking to.

Before then, does anyone know how or which religious organizations are involved in this?

Women Helping Women International seems to be doing a lot of work on the ground. Here's their website: http://www.womenforwomen.org/index.htm

I don't know if there's any organization that is working with the *men* in this most toxic of rape cultures.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Hi there!! I was just googling sexual violence in the Congo and came across your blog. I'm SO GLAD to see that people are responding to this!

    While there aren't any orgs. that I know of working in DRC, there is an amazing organization in the states called "Men Can Stop Rape," and they are trying to expand to the international realm.

    I am actually about to go volunteer with Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, Congo, to help heal/ treat survivors. I was wondering if you would mind posting my website? Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get grants since I am no longer a student, so I am launching a personal fundraising campaign. My website is www.adoptavolunteer.com

    Anything you could do to help me publicize and get the word out would be awesome!

    Thanks again for increasing awareness of this very important issue!!

    Brandi Walker
    queenofthecongo@gmail.com

    By Blogger ConsciousAwakening, at 9:11 PM  

  • I was contemplating adopting a Congolese woman.
    If you cannot help to prevent, it seems like a good idea to help the women to survive and build a better, more independent, life.

    By Blogger dutchmarbel, at 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home